Hello

Topic: Does the salt burn?  (Read 23448 times)

• View Profile
Does the salt burn?
« on: July 27, 2019, 11:31:50 PM »
Hi Jason (or others with experience),  Your suggested clay "recipe" calls for salt to be mixed with the clay - does this salt sting open wounds or any open flesh?  I've hesitated to try it as I'm dreading the burn that I'm anticipating from salt.  Thanks!

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: Does the salt burn?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »
Hi Happy1:

Great question!

Salt is "salty" specifically due to the change in osmotic pressure between the two meeting environments (the salt and the skin, for example).  I'm sure there is actually a measured saturation point (a percentage) that is considered "salty" for humans, but I don't know what that would be.  In our deodorant tutorial, if I remember correctly, we use a 10% salt saturated solution as measured by a hydrometer.  That is almost enough to act as an irritant, and can temporarily as sensitive skin adjusts.

Next time I make hydrated clay, I will use my hydrometer to test the actual salt concentration, but it is not going to be anywhere near 10%.

What this translates to functionally, is that salt added to water or clay for poultices will just be "minerally" right up to the point where "too much" salt is added.  When the water is salty enough to start to pull moisture from the skin/tissue (in other words, when the osmotic balance shifts between the human tissue and the hydrated clay), then it will irritate the tissue.

For clay baths, I actually want the osmotic pressure to change between the water and the body, so I make a very salty clay bath.  This increases the detox ability of the clay water.

BUT, for internal use and for clay poultices, I simply never use enough salt for it to become an actual irritant.

Interestingly, the human taste buds give you a pretty accurate picture of a salt solution.  If you taste the water, and it doesn't "taste" salty, chances are the water doesn't contain enough salt to act as an irritant.  For drinking, it should taste neutral.  For external use, it should taste like non-specific mineral water; it should have a mineral taste, but you won't be able to identify it as salt, metal, etc.

The measurements I use on the "dragon sole" clay hydration tutorial advise using enough salt to enhance the clay, but should not be enough to irritate open wounds.  To be absolutely sure, you can always simply use half of the "dragon sole"... With the dragon sole, it's not the mineral salts that pack the punch, it is the sulfur!

------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Eytons' Earth Foundation: Nutrition & Detox Study Program[/u

• View Profile
Re: Does the salt burn?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
That's great news!  I'll give it a try.

Using it on young children as well, so really wanted to make sure it's not going to irritate anything!
Jane