Hello

Topic: Glycine  (Read 3217 times)

• View Profile
Glycine
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone is using glycine as a substitute for sweetener in drinks?  Is it safe to use daily?  I want to substitute stevia in my coffee/tea.  Thanks

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: Glycine
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »
...wow, I didn't know that glycine could be used as a sweetener.  Why not?

Or, why not even a bit of D-Ribose and glycine?  I don't think that D-Ribose is sweet enough to actually use as a sweetner, but it is very advantageous to supplement with it.

Myself, I do not use a lot of sugar or sweetener.  I drink one cup of rocket fuel coffee in the morning, and I use about 1 tsp. of xylitol.  Xylitol is one of those things (an alcohol, actually) that works excellent in small doses, but very poorly in larger doses.

I used to drink 3 cups of coffee daily, and so I used to use 3 tsp. daily, and had no problems.
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Exploration:  Meditation Program

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
I only use sweetener in morning coffee. I have xylitol but have to be very careful as I have a dog, not even a tiny bit can be ingested. The drop or two of stevia offsets the collagen and MCT powder. I researched glycine and its part of the makeup of collagen but collagen is not sweet. I use the Dr within brand. I suppose a little glycine a day can't hurt.

• View Profile
    • EndAllDisease
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »
From my understanding, Glycine is an amino acid.
Are you sure it has a sweet taste?  I've never heard of it being used for that.

Either way, my first thought is why do you want to substitute sugar with something else in the first place?

I think I speak from about 10 years in the future when I say that sugar is not the problem.  Sugar is essential for the proper function of every cell in the body, and not eating it means the body will release stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline to break down your tissues and organs to produce sugar.

Either we eat sugar, or our body eats itself to make sugar.  Your call.
"Energy and persistence conquer all things."
- Benjamin Franklin

Checkout my website at: http://www.endAllDisease.com

• View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
...I cut out all refined carbs and sugar years ago.  There are different types of metabolisms that do well on a variety of different diets.  I happen to be one that does well with a low carb (all carbs mostly actual veggies, grains on occasion).

Yes, of course glucose is necessary.  There is enough "sugar" in "real" food to run the body,  but considering I also converted to a fat burning metabolism about two years ago, my body doesn't require very much.

So, I don't use things like honey or sugar additives, I get sugar from things like blueberries, lemon (yes, it does have sugar, just not a lot!), etc.

I was surprised that glycine was sweet, too.  I can attest to it because I have a container of it sitting right here!
------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:

• View Profile
    • EndAllDisease
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »
Hey Jason,
Thanks for your reply man.

Very interesting about the sweetness of Glycine.  I take my glycine in the form of gelatin powder, which comes with many other beneficial amino acids like proline, hydroxyproline.  But then again, if being used for a sweetener then the isolated amino acid makes sense for sure.

As far as carbohydrates go, I have a very different perspective about it.
The Carnivore diet and the Ketogenic diet seem to be all the rage these days, but my contention is that these are extremely stressful diets.  Their benefits are derived from the fact that many chemicals contained in processed foods, and many chemicals contained within raw plants, are avoided.  These are cleaner diets, and they probably remediate many of the protein deficiencies that I think most people suffer from. 

On the downside, it's my contention that literally all chronic degenerative diseases, including cancer, are characterized by chronic fat burning.  The reason why is simple: Anytime the body is low on carbohydrates, it will release stress hormones to catabolize the body tissues to make sugar.  Sugar is absoluitely essential, and without it we are under stress 24/7.  So the Ketogenic diet and the Carnivore diets are extremely stressful diets that waste away the body, and importantly, release highly toxic unsaturated free fatty acids from tissues.  It's these unsaturated fats and their breakdown products, for example prostaglandins, which promote even more stress in a vicious circle.

When the body hasn't enough resources to switch off the stress, because the unsaturated free fatty acids overwhelm it, then that stress becomes chronic and it's precisely at that point where all degenerative diseases begin to form.
- Benjamin Franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »
You actually have some great points.

My diet is actually a ***modified*** ketogenic diet, based primarily on the clinical science conducted by Dr. Terry Wahls, and her research on reversing multiple sclerosis (she's on, I think, her six well funded scientific trial).

Yes, a standard ketogenic diet is particularly stressful on the heart.  Look at what happened to Atkins (and his cancer center, as far as I know, failed to produce even one real success case).

What I like about functional medicine is that it is all science based, where by "science", I also mean full laboratory testing, nutritional profiling, fatty acid testing, etc.

After about three months on an elimination diet, you start breaking the fast maybe twice to three days weekly.

I eat a minimum of six to nine cups of well varied vegetables daily.  Fat is strictly controlled and limited, you don't have to have a diet overly rich in animal products to be ketogenic.  Any extra fat I need to maintain my energy and weight, I get from modulating (real) coconut milk or coconut oil.

As a part of my research, I actually measure EVERYTHING out.  So, I get exactly two ounces of animal protein twice daily.

I recently did an metabolic age test to see how my body was "aging" and functioning.  My metabolic age has dropped to 27 years old (I'm almost 50 years old).

That said, any strict diet has major pitfalls if not done with a great deal of nutritional knowledge.

For my project, this type of diet is only done for a short period of time, enough to identify food sensitivies and enough time to heal the gut and completely restore the microbiome while doing a basic detox.

THEN, you start to add back in foods slowly, so that you can monitor the body's response.  Some people cannot tolerate dairy, while other people thrive with properly produced dairy, like grass fed butter (for example).  Other people are immune-sensitive to grains.

I've tried just about every method of eating on the planet, and I, personally, have just stuck with this method because it has worked very well for me.

I have a very fast burning metabolism, generally.  Before transforming my microbiome, a typical daily food plan would include things like five or six eggs with plenty of toast and butter for a first meal, a 12 ounce Ribeye for dinner with veggies and starches for dinner, etc.  And I was still about ten pounds under weight most of the time.

So I don't suggest everyone eat in any particular way, I do suggest that a person takes the time to explore and find what works for them.

------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:

• View Profile
    • EndAllDisease
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
Very interesting man thanks for sharing.

I haven't heard of Dr. Terry Wahls, but what I appreciate about you, is that you stick to the evidence.  I know evidence exists in both ways for most things, which suggests either experimental error or corruption, but testing these things out is the only way to really find out the truth.

The fact that you stick to the saturated fats coconut oil is great in my books.  I think unsaturated fats (oils that are liquid at room temperature) are the prime cause of all diseases, and the literal cause of aging.

Have you heard of  Dr. Ray Peat?

He is my primary mentor in the nutrition world these days, after years about trying just about every fad diet that's out there - each one worsening my health.  I am finally healthy, and this based not on how I feel as much as basal body temperature and pulse.  (People often feel great on ketogenic or carnivore diets  because stress hormones feel good.)

At the end of the day, either the body has enough thyroid hormone (T3) and the cells are using it properly or it's not, and that's the difference between health and disease.  A high quality dessicated thyroid supplement is really what capped off my multiple-decades long quest for health.
- Benjamin Franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
...although I am not an expert in his work, I have a great deal of respect for Ray Peat!

Although this morphs a bit as I research more, I tend to think that there are fundamentally about three general healthy ways to eat.

The "middle of the ground" is summed up by Dr. Tim O'Shea's "New West Diet", which is pretty much Weston Price, but with a focus on veggies and grains (but not Vegan/Vegetarian).

...and then on the other end is even more vegetable based, something like a macrobiotic diet.

But, so much of what makes a healthy diet is determined by the state of the microbiome!

I think if people focus on getting the digestive system healed and working well, they will eveutnally be lead to eating habits that will work for them!
------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:

• View Profile
    • EndAllDisease
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »
Interesting take on the best food to eat.

On that note let's move this thread over to your new one on the best diet!
https://www.earthcures.org/forum/index.php/topic,3.0.html
- Benjamin Franklin