Hello

Topic: USP Sodium Bentonite vs. Calcium Bentonite  (Read 762 times)

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
USP Sodium Bentonite vs. Calcium Bentonite
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
(conversation based on questions via email)

Please keep in mind that each clay really needs to be examined based on its unique characteristics from each different quarry/location...   Sometimes, there are even big differences in clays from the same deposit.  There is not enough information to judge the quality of a clay based on whether it is known as sodium bentonite or calcium bentonite.

However, I have spent a great deal of time and energy examining both the differences and the potential uses of each.

Generally speaking, the USP grade sodium bentonite has twice the "pulling power" as clays like calcium bentonite/montmorillonite, and about 4 times the pulling power of something like green illite.  It is extremely alkaline, whereas something like the red desert clay (Terramin) is very close to neutral.

This particular sodium bentonite swells 4-5X in volume when hydrated.  Clays like our red desert clay (Terramin) and green illite do not swell at all.  The green desert clay swells about 2X, and is also alkaline.

These two characteristics of the sodium bentonite give it advantages for digestive system cleansing, and for use in clay baths.  It's not that the other clays don't work in a similar manner, it's just that the sodium bentonite does it significantly better, which is why companies like V.E. Irons (the original, and the first, bentonite supplement maker) use it.

However, a purified and water washed clay doesn't have the same mineral profile as a natural clay.  It doesn't have the same energetic characteristics either.

I don't consider the sodium bentonite we use as an actually healing clay.  If Neva Jensen stopped by this quarry during her "nation-wide" search for true therapeutic grade clay, she would not have stopped.  She authored the book called, "The Healing Power of Healing Clay".  What happened is that she lost access to the clay she loved for many years.  She did not get the same results from other clays.  She needed healing "all the way down to the bones".  She finally found a true therapeutic grade calcium bentonite, which worked just as well as her old beloved clay.

To further complicate things, It has a "complicated" elemental profile, which is why we label it for professional use only, and why we use the USP grade which is both water washed and ultra-ventilated.  By "complicated", I mean it has elements within it that are outside of the ranges that I've established by studying "traditional-use" clays with a history of "indigenous" use.

All of that said, I wouldn't be without it.  Individuals with severe chemical and electromagnetic sensitivities gravitate and prefer this clay.  I use it all the time internally in my clay blend drink.  I use it in my clay baths as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:23:14 PM by Jason »
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Eytons' Earth Foundation: Nutrition & Detox Study Program[/u

• View Profile
Re: USP Sodium Bentonite vs. Calcium Bentonite
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:30:35 AM »
Not sure why you are selling and using a washed and ventilated bentonite after mentioning that it takes some of the minerals away, why not a natural one?

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: USP Sodium Bentonite vs. Calcium Bentonite
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »
...some people desire a "certified"/"purified" clay rather than a natural one.  There are people out there that will ONLY use a certified USP grade supplement.  The purification process captures a very, very narrow range of particles, ensuring that the end product is as close to pure smectite (40 microns) as possible.

I have been working on sourcing a natural sodium bentonite, but most deposits tend to be very low quality clays (compared to the therapeutic grade clay deposits).  If you ever see any contradictory studies on sodium bentonite, it is because the researchers didn't know to use an actual therapeutic grade clay, and there are a small handful of popular technical grade sodium bentonites with wide spread use that really aren't that suitable for human consumption.

It takes a great deal of (financial) resources to properly study a "new" clay.  My personal expert clay mineralogist who did all of the analytical work for my research has since retired.  It has taken me about ten years to find suitable labs and replacement scientists to do each of the different studies.  I'm very glad to have found them, but at this point and time, I simply can't afford to hire them to explore "virgin" clay sources!

This is also a nod to honoring tradition.  This is the clay that V. E. Irons used.  V. E. is probably singularly responsible for the success of the supplement industry.  He was also the first person/business to create a hydrated clay for public use.

I use it because it has twice the pulling power of any other clay.  Bottom line:  It works extremely well, has an extremely long and proven track record, has been used by tens and tens of thousands of people, probably since the 1950's.

It wouldn't be my first choice clay, and if I was forced to rank it, it would probably be number 6 on my list.
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Eytons' Earth Foundation: Nutrition & Detox Study Program[/u