Hello

Topic: Best particle size for charcoal detox?  (Read 1671 times)

• View Profile
Best particle size for charcoal detox?
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
It seems there is some dispute about what the best particle size is for charcoal internally used to detox.

Some people say that the smallest particle sizes are better because they result in greater surface area of adsorption potential.

Others seem to say that when the particles are ground down the chambers are pulverized and don't work as well to adsorb.
Alternately, I have heard the idea that multiple chamber sizes are the most versatile for detox: mesoporous.

FInally, this guy Ray Peat thinks that small charcoal particles are dangerous because through "persorption" they lodge in lymph, small blood vessels, and elsewhere, becoming inflammatory and difficult to clear. So he recommends using granulated charcoal internally
(which the advocates of the first position -fine particle- informed me was absurd, because humans do not have gizzards.)  https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/activated-charcoal-should-be-used-with-caution.17352/   
I don't know who Ray Peat is, but I would sure like to know if he's right or not.

And which particle size is preferable for internal use.

And any recommendations and experiences for protocols and dosages for charcoal detox.
I found this one- simple but strong - http://charcoaltimes.com/2694-2/

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: Best particle size for charcoal detox?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
I don't have a lot to say as I have not studied charcoal very closely.

I will state with some certainty that nano-sized carbon particles that have been formed chaotically are well known to be extremely dangerous.  The smaller the particle size, the more that the SHAPE of the particle becomes very important to avoid things like cytotoxicity.

Smaller particle size does not necessarily equate to a more powerful detox; those who claim that it does are all profiting off of trying to prevent people from using other products.  I have great uses for particles ranging from 0.9 microns  to 40 microns... in the larger colloidal sized particle range... and 5-40 nanometers, in the nano-sized particle range.  There is much more to how colloidal substances work than "surface area".

For digestive system detox, I would stick with "larger", more "traditional" particles.

For deeper detox, I advise staying away from things like charcoal, instead moving into the realm of stuff like carbon 60, where you absolutely KNOW for certain the exact particle characteristics.

Sadly, C-60 is extremely expensive and still pretty experimental.

------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Exploration:  Meditation Program