Hello

Topic: Wim Hof breathing & ice baths  (Read 253 times)

• View Profile
Wim Hof breathing & ice baths
« on: January 31, 2020, 12:10:04 PM »
Hello,
Has anyone else tried the Wim Hof breathing method and ice baths? I am having great experiences with the breathing exercises, I find that they genuinely help reset my mind and give my meditations a kick start. I'm also appreciating the baths (started with showers, moved on to baths now). While it was difficult initially to get my head round taking a cold shower, I don't dread the cold as much as I used to and don't feel as cold in winter, and more importantly, I haven't been sick since I started taking them! I also exercise out in the cold in shorts and a short tshirt. Initially, when I started all this, I wasn't sleeping well, but now I sleep like a log. The main benefit is a calmer and more resilient mind! And second benefit, not getting sick (not sure how long this will last, touching wood!). I was experimenting to help someone, and it turns out I'm the one that has really taken to it, and the other person too now! (helping with depression). It's so easy, you don't need any equipment, just a bath or shower (or barrel you can fill with water) and a pair of lungs.

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: Wim Hof breathing & ice baths
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
...YES, breathing exercises, hot therapy and cold therapy, all combined, do amazing things for the immune system, not to mention each one
 is amazingly effective at helping the body naturally detox!

Being a desert rat, I used to do anything to avoid the cold... especially since I, at one time, had thyroid issues.

But I did grow up with the four seasons, snow skiing, and even water skiing at Lake Tahoe.

I found that it didn't take too long to get used to cold showers/plunges... and until then, it is easy to "bribe" yourself with the promise of a hot shower right after the cold is finished!

For best results, you are supposed to end with the "cold" therapy, but I never did.  I was so apposed to being cold that if I HAD to end with a cold shower/plunge, I simply would not have done it at all! ;)
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Exploration:  Meditation Program

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
I guess it's harder to do in the desert and in warm climates, you really would need a lot of ice and it would melt immediately! I have a lot of resistance to going in the cold water, especially if I'm already cold from exercising outdoors in the cold, I find myself finding little tasks to do like the washing up, which suddenly needs doing, until I realize my mind is playing games with me, and go straight in!
I haven't been doing the warm showers afterwards or sauna, because I'm trying to get my body to produce brown fat; it appears that it's good for you... but really I'm happy just not to be fighting a cold all the time, even though your advice about olive leaf works wonders!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:28:09 AM »
Hi!

I've been doing the breathing and cold showers too. Boy the breathing can be trippy can't it? lol.
I'm enjoying the cold showers more than the breathing, I start with hot water and end with cold. It is so relaxing and I actually feel warm afterwards. Feels like a reset of body and mind each time and I sleep like a baby. Wim Hof is the right kind of crazy, his story of how he found out about the benefits of cold exposure is so inspiring. Really admire that man.