Hello

Topic: Does Aluminum in Therapeutic Clay and/or Zeolite Pose a Risk for Long Term Use?  (Read 11651 times)

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
(email question)
...Thank you so much, love your clay. Also, I saw this video by Dr klinghardt saying that although bentonite is amazing that it has aluminum no matter how much itís purified and to not take it internally for longer that two weeks. Iíve taken it a lot longer than that before. How much of that statement is true ?  What about heavy metals and zeolite?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please refer to the following page for information on clay composition:

Clay Chemistry

Most healing clays have aluminum silicate as their base crystal. Since it is in crystal form, it is completely inert.  Furthermore, for smectites, the particle size of the clay is too large to absorb into the bloodstream.

If I had not researched thoroughly, I might assume that some of the aluminum might become bio-available, and apply due caution when recommending its long term use.

However, I and others have determined via DMSA heavy metal challenge testing that regular users of clay have lower than expected levels of aluminum.

It makes sense that since clay is used to remove heavy metals, that if there are trace amounts of nascent aluminum in the clay, the clay removes it as well.  My own personal exposure to clay is very long term and extensive!  I have been bathing in it, packaging it, drinking it, covered head to toe in it, over and over again for more than 25 years.

So I have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary, and have seen no evidence that the body retains any heavy metals from clay use... PROVIDED that the clay is true therapeutic grade and not contaminated: Those clays that have been used trans-generationally by indigenous peoples and shown to be completely safe by tradition.

All of that said, while there is no actual evidence to suggest  the bio-availability of aluminum in clay, and while there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, this evidence cannot be considered as definitive or conclusive.  I think it is a good idea if everyone gets heavy metal testing done every so often!

One thing I would like to note is that while any heavy metal testing provides useful and interesting information, the only way to tell how any clay is working is by first, doing a DMSA heavy metal challenge test.  Then, taking the clay for about two to three months.  Then, clay use must be paused for 3-5 days.  A follow up DMSA heavy metal challenge test is then administered.  A comparison between the first and second test will reveal exactly how clay has performed in the body.  It is actually even better to repeat this at the one year mark, as heavy metals being purged from the body, even with a challenge test, can vary based on many different factors.

Please note that we do deal with this question in our beginner's guide to edible clay as well:

Beginner's Guide to Edible Clay

Most of this information also applies to micronized zeolite as well.  While zeolite is actually a crystalline rock, once it is micronized it fits the classification of "what a clay" particle is.

There is much misinformation about zeolite on the web.  Colloidal science is a VERY specialized field of research.  It is easy to get things completely wrong unless you have very specialized training.  Over the years, I've consulted with some of the world's most accomplished colloidal and clay mineral scientists in order to get a very detailed and comprehensive understanding of the properties of clay minerals.

All zeolites are particularly high in heavy metals.  However, in order for a "metal" to have bio-active properties, it either needs to be water soluble, fat soluble, or exist in a non-bound (nascent) nano particle form.  Most of the metal materials found in any type of volcanic-origin mineral are fused to the crystalline particle, or are actually used in its formation. 

For example, most of the clays we use are alumino-silicate crystals (see the above referenced page on clay chemistry).  The aluminum in zeolite (and other clays), as noted, are not bio-available.  If they were, then it would not BE zeolite, or clay.  It would be another material.  This is an established fact.  However, you don't have to "trust" us, you can study the chemistry yourself.

Since zeolite is really alternative medicine rather than natural medicine, I choose not to get involved in the controversy surrounding it.  What I will say is that all of the scientific research has been done on micronized zeolite, in Europe.  All of the actual scientific papers are readily available.

Before using micronized zeolite myself, I consulted, among others, with a medical doctor (MD) specializing in environmental medicine with 10 years of clinical experience using it.  Like myself, most of his patients do/did regular heavy metal testing (the right type of testing, done the right way).  It does take some knowledge to do this testing properly.  You actually have to have training in environmental medicine.  It is easy to get the science completely wrong.

Be careful where you get your information from.  I don't know of an actual media outlet (including specialty websites and blogs) that gets things right, so perhaps sourcing information from authentic independent scientific sources is a better choice.  In this day and age, most media sources always have an agenda, and fear drives clicks and sells best.  It is not wise to mistake passion for accuracy!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:17:09 PM by Jason »
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Eytons' Earth Foundation: Nutrition & Detox Study Program[/u