Hello

Topic: Vitamin D Levels - A Closer Look at Vitamin D and Viral Infections (COVID-19)  (Read 999 times)

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
We strongly recommend individuals supplement with Vitamin D3 and K2 as a preventative measure, both for the general flu and especially to help protect against infection from Sars-CoV-2.

I've long believed that adequate levels of vitamin D in the body protect against acute viral infections.  However, I have come across individuals who have supplemented with D, and yet have still come down with pretty severe case of the flu.  What gives?  Is the information wrong, or are there more elements and variables at play?

I used to believe that supplementing with a good D/K product was enough, without giving it much thought.  It turns out, though, that some people-- maybe even a lot of people-- might need to take as much as 10,000 units daily (temporarily!) in order to reach ideal levels of Vitamin D (and cofactors) in the body. 

"Traditionally", most people only supplement with 1-2K units... So, it's no wonder that some people might still be at greater risk for getting ill.

I personally thought my 1,000 units of D, along with at least 30 minutes out in the Las Vegas sun, would do the trick.  It wasn't until I got tested that I realized my levels were still far too low!  But, that is the beauty of real functional medicine.  You can test to get an accurate baseline.

Therefore, it is strongly advisable that individuals get tested to determine how much Vitamin D to supplement with in order to achieve "levels" between 50 ug/ml and 60 ug/ml, while maintaining levels below 80 ug/ml.  Home testing kits are available.

Please review the following charts, provided by "Grassroots Health", which document the conclusions of a study done in Asia, which was compiled from studying data taken from three different hospitals.  All test subjects had their vitamin D levels tested having been admitted to the hospital, with varying degrees of severity of the COVID-19 infection:

As this limited, but statistically significant data shows, nearly all of those with higher levels of vitamin D generally had far less severe cases of the illness.

The second chart (below)  shows that only 13% of the individuals tested (all with COVID-19) had the recommended levels of Vitamin D (greater than 40 ng/ml).  This is a serious problem!

So, now, how to supplement?

Dr. Mercola, for example, has a suitable supplement, with 5,000 IU of Vitamins D3 & 180 mcg of K2.  Some people might need one capsule, others may TEMPORARILY need to two.  Other supplements out there dose with 1,000 or 2,000 units.

The best action?  Don't guess, test.  Home test kits (finger prick blood test) cost around $80-100.  We don't currently know enough about how these tests are conducted to have an educated opinion on what company would be the best choice.  Luckily, it's not rocket science, just choose a reputable company/lab, or check with your doctor!

If you have to guess to start with, you could start with one 5,000 unit dose per day for a period of time, and then do a home test to check your levels. 

DO NOT PANIC DOSE with Vitamin D, overdosing can cause kidney failure. 

If Dr. Mercola's product of 5,000 units of D (single daily dose) turned out to be an actual serious PROBLEM due to the high dosage level, we probably would have heard about it by now.

Some individuals can't seem to believe that something as simple as Vitamin D can have such a big impact on health.  I understand!  Devil's advocates like to point out that this is just one single study.  That is true!

Therefore, on the science reference page ( https://www.earthcures.org/forum/index.php/topic,175.0.html ), we've added an abundance of research material (influenza) which lends credence to the idea of using Vitamin D in a preventative manner for respiratory viral infections.  These studies, some of them massive in scope, were of course NOT done with COVID-19, but with influenza and pneumonia.

The truth is, nobody knows exactly what is going to work with this new coronavirus.  However, we have a whole human history dealing with respiratory virii, both pandemic outbreaks and "regular" seasonal "flus".

See the page below which outlines all of the pages we have exploring COVID-19:

https://www.earthcures.org/forum/index.php/topic,184.0.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:02:57 AM by Jason »
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Exploration:  Meditation Program

• View Profile
I'm concerned about doing 5K vitamin D every day, especially without know the levels of Vitamin A. My guidance is always A and D together, from natural sources as much as possible, and I am not so comfortable going above 2K vitamin D supplements on a daily basis. That's my comfort level. In any case, I would want to remind people to keep the A up along with the D. In any case, I absolutely love this post  ;)

• View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
That's a great point, and certainly should be mentioned here!

But if I had to choose between serious vitamin A deficiency, and Vitamin D deficiency (simply getting killed by flu or something like COVID-19), I would choose A.  The consequences for too much A can be tragic, while the consequences from too much D are so mild that a person might miss it until it starts to get serious.  This is why I am absolutely against COD liver oil for use in the developed world (did a few months of research on that, since I was normally a fan of the Weston Price Foundation -- no longer).

Luckily, nobody has to!

Although it is not published yet, the dietary and detox program we have REQUIRES an individual to do things like beef liver and/or beef bone marrow in order to balance out supplementation.  Functional medicine doctors have pretty much done all of the clinical research.

Supplementation should ALWAYS be dependent upon proper diet, and proper diet shouldn't be someone's opinion, it should be lab-result based.  That is the right way to do it.

I've done 5,000 units of D for about a year now.

When I first started doing it, my cravings were out of this world, so it was clear I had to restore a balance (of course, the imbalance was likely already present, and extra D just tipped the balance).

Once you adjust your body to a completely natural way of eating with full nutrition, you can then start to trust that the body will let you know when imbalances occur.

The sad thing is, something as simple as chronic dehydration can prevent the body from responding properly (I drink a MINIMUM of 64 ounces of clean water a day).

------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:

• View Profile
...in fact, some medical researchers believe that this is such a critical issue, that they recommend individuals supplement at 10,000 units for a few weeks, and then drop the dosage down to 5,000 units a day (see link below).  A controversial move?  Maybe, but I don't think it is as "controversial" as it may seem.

Interested researchers can find an immense amount of supporting data for Vit D here:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/4/988/htm

Getting a nutritional panel done would certainly be ideal, but at least making certain one is getting adequate vitamin A from natural sources would be excellent, and I'm surprised that the researchers haven't covered that in the paper.

I was looking for supporting DATA on the relationship between D and A, so here is a link to a .pdf done by the Allergy Research Group (whom I really like, so don't tell me about them to burst my bubble ROFL):

https://www.allergyresearchgroup.com/ARGFocus_201008_VitaminsDAK_web.pdf

It gives a pretty great in depth view to balance this whole issue out!

(Thanks Victor for bringing this up, I probably would have forgotten to address the issue in lieu of everything else going on).

In fact, let us play devil's advocate.  This is a quote from the .pdf:

"Higher doses of vitamin D being recommended today have never been proven safe, especially
longterm, and toxicity can show up overnight when fat stores become saturated and excess vitamin D spills
into the blood; this can take many months to reverse."

They go on to talk about exposure to the sun, etc.

I personally thought sun would do the job, but not even close for me, personally.  My metabolism tends to need more of everything to burn properly anyway, which is why it is always a good idea to get proper testing and monitoring done!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:57:28 PM by Jason »
------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:

• View Profile
To put things in proper perspective, please note that supplementation of ANYTHING over long periods of time is actually pretty controversial.  Doing so is taking a position that is easily "attacked" from many different fronts.  There are a lot of perspectives out there, with extremely passionate and well-intentioned individuals that hold them.

One that I feel is worthy of mention is the Vitamin A and D controversy.   There are those that believe that a Vitamin D deficiency is caused by Vitamin A toxicity, and that Vitamin D levels should always be betweeon 20-40 ng/ml when this toxicity is resolved.

This doesn't match the research that I've conducted, but that doesn't mean that there is no merit to the idea.

Unfortunately, the scientific research that IS out there isn't the best research I've seen, and it doesn't take into account the relationship between vitamin D and vitamin K.  We know of many, sometimes serious, problems can occur when taking vitamin D apart from Vitamin K.  That's a no brainer.

Therefore, any valid research would have to take into account the proper supplementation of Vitamin D COMBINED with K FIRST.  Sadly, I have not seen one "anti-d" study that addresses this.  In fact, with some research, the topic is suspiciously avoided. 

People need to realize that nearly ALL positions out there are held by writers and researchers that cherry pick data.  When you see an otherwise brilliant paper or website, that ignores a fundamental issue that has been addressed, and they ignore it, it is usually on purpose.  People in this age have a strange need to write stories that completely agree with their narrative.

There are those who, of course, view unnatural supplementation as a "poisoning".  Our position is that nothing in creation is actually poison, but that toxicity of anything is directly related to concentration and volume consumed.  And, this, of course, may be variable based on individual conditions.

Some things are toxic in very low amounts and don't have any place in the human body, while even something like water is deadly if over-consumed.

What makes something health-promoting or illness causing cannot be evaluated based on chemical composition alone.  The only way this can be determined scientifically is through rigorous functional medicine research.  This type of research is not easy.  Luckily, as time goes on, more and more truly good science is emerging.

So, while I agree that it would be wisest to get Vitamin A levels checked and correct any imbalance, I haven't seen any functional medicine research yet that would sway me away from looking carefully at reasonable Vitamin D & K supplementation.

However, if someone out there has GOOD scientific data, I would love to look at it.  And, no, I don't see a study that injects Vitamin D into the bloodstream at high concentrations once monthly comparable in any way to oral vitamin D2 and K3 supplementation!

The truth is:  We would all be better served by living a healthy, natural life style in harmony with nature.  But that is almost impossible for most people in the world to do, and it is becoming harder and harder to do, not easier.
------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project: