Hello

Topic: Oxygen, CO2 + || "Air" as the Most Important "Nutrient" || Breathing  (Read 824 times)

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
This post is a follow up to the discussion on CO2, O2 therapies and breathing:

https://www.earthcures.org/forum/index.php/topic,78.0.html ( 2 Pages)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...around the spiral I go, time to revisit what is likely the most important topic for quality of life:  BREATHING.

I first started studying breathing when I was 16 years old, and used to do a simple practice of "Pranayama".  In this case, the method I used was a full breath 4 step practice (3 steps plus a pause).  This "cadence"-based breathing method treats the lower lobes and the upper lobes of the lungs as distinct, separate steps in the breathing process.  The practice opens up both the diaphragm and the chest, as well as conditioning all muscles involved.

Later, I also did gentle breathing practices associated with Qi Gong, where breathing is quite gentle and the mind is trained to follow the pranic energy, or "qi".   This type of breathing, when combined with "gazing", can cause really neat altered states of consciousness, and with the eyes completely open.

Aside from this, and breath training for swimming purposes (designed for swim meet competitions), I didn't continue my studies until years later.  Boy do I wish I had continued, and not taken a twenty-some year break!

Here, I'd just like to share some introductory information that can save a person years of independent research (opened doorways for conception that might otherwise be completely missed).

There are four fundamental works that I recommend to anyone interested in the study of breathing, in order to get a great foundation to begin a serious study:

1.  The book, "Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art", by James Nestor - This book is an incredible dive into the importance of nose breathing over mouth breathing for health and even facial structure.  James was the first person to introduce me to the idea of "pulmonauts".  Pulmonauts are like astronauts, accept their focus is breathing; and yes, some of them are THAT serious!  James also provides a great overview of almost everything "breathing".  That said, the strength of his work is in the science and focus on nasal breathing for health purposes.

2.  Wim Hof - Even just one of his short tutorial videos.  The Wim Hof method involves moving energy through the extremes, combining rapid deep breathing with cold therapies.

3.  "The Oxygen Advantage", book by Patrick Mckeown - A little too "sportsy" for  my liking, but the initial chapters about breathing are excellent.

One really needs to explore all three to get a good overview of the practice and science of breathing... and this should just be considered an initial dive into an extremely important topic.

Of note and interest:  Patrick's oxygen advantage breathing methods are pretty much the exact opposite of Wim Hof, so exploring BOTH works is highly suggested.

Since this topic was originally about the benefits of CO2, and things like high altitude training:

The Oxygen Advantage teaches a person how to do "high altitude training", without the high altitude.  You can get the same advantages of high altitude training by using measured breathing methods which start to "starve" the body of oxygen in order to reset and train the brain's O2/CO2 regulation system.

If anyone not familiar with the art and science of breathing masters all of the concepts in these 3 presentations, it will completely transform one's life... and, all of it is completely free and can be done anywhere.

Even so, as I mentioned previously, this should all be considered just an initial dive.  If anyone wants to take a high dive down into the rabbit hole, there is much more to experience and learn,  and it all simply becomes more profound the deeper the dive!

And, #4:  What is sometimes called "Coherence Breathing", with a practice to completely resolve unresolved, subconscious and/or unconscious trauma.  There are several teachers of similar methods, but by far the most profound and enjoyable:

"A Walk Through The Presence Process", by Michael Brown.  I highly recommend doing the actual book first (even if you get a revised e-book edition).  There is an audio book, which I am told is actually missing a chapter, and then a workshop (audio), which is a great companion to the book.

The Presence Process utilizes a breathing method that *****avoids**** causing the extreme biochemical and energetic imbalances, unlike the other two breathing practices recommended above.

This is akin to a immersive, experiential dive into authentic Buddhism, but without the Buddha or the religion.  Therefore, this practice can be integrated into any emotional or spiritual practice without the "eastern bias".  Simply, you just experience itself as you do the work.

Some teachers have people do 100 breathing reps, but others (which I like) recommend using TIMING.  By using a timer, you can avoid getting stuck in alpha-dominant brainwave states due to the "counting".  This is one reason why I like Michael's work the best.  It helps that he has a nice sense of humor as well.

Anyway, if anyone wants to discuss the most important practice known to man (breathing), this thread is a great place!

The above suggestions, in my view, are key to understanding the scope of what breathing can be.   That said, this isn't really getting into the more advanced practices out there.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 11:42:17 AM by Jason »
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Exploration:  Meditation Program

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: Oxygen, CO2 + || "Air" as the Most Important "Nutrient" || Breathing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
Oh, and I would like to add a few thoughts, from observing people for decades.

Many people, especially those interested in dynamic health, have some sort of spiritual and/or religious practice.

In many cases, these practices are far, far less effective than they could be.

The issue is that an elevated emotional state of being is required (creating from the HEART) for most spiritual/religious/metaphysical practices to actually WORK. 

The thing is, people of this modern age are completely trapped into stress-reaction living.  In many cases, we as people think that we don't even FEEL AT ALL.... that we become numb to living.

This isn't actually true, in most cases.  What happens is that we are so addicted to frustration, that we do not even realize that this is the state of being we are in.  It is normal.  We think we feel nothing, and yet if we were able to view our emotional/physical state objectively, we would see stress/frustration...  which is a form of anger.

Now, in the past ages, most of humanity operated from absolute fear (paralyzing fear).  This is why modern religion is geared the way it is, to reach/manipulate people from where they existed.  Fear was the language they spoke, and formal organizations knew this, and capitalized on it (while supporting it even more).

In this emerging age, things are at least a little bit better.  It is easier for a person to begin to address a state of frustration rather than a state of soul-destroying fear.

The singular answer for a person to overcome this state is a formal study of breathing.  Breathing is the way out.

In this case, I'm looking at breathing as a practice separate from meditation, although breathing certainly often moves one into a meditative state of consciousness.
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Exploration:  Meditation Program