Hello

Topic: OK, Folks, Stop it with the Bio-Hacking Already!  (Read 102 times)

• Change to survive then adapt to thrive!
    • View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
OK, Folks, Stop it with the Bio-Hacking Already!
« on: April 02, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
Apparently, most bio-hackers don't know their hacker history very well.  As a one time active part of the first generation of the computer hacker community, let's get clear about a few facts.

1.  Hacking-- except for true masters-- is generally destructive.  Hence the term:  Hack.  With hacking, you are breaking in, and forcing a change.  This often requires hijacking processes, and making them work in a manner that they were not designed to.  There is seldom an elegance to hacking.  There are almost always unforeseen consequences.  Hacking is single-minded, and the goal is to accomplish the given task with little regards to the consequences!

2.  Hacking is always incomplete programming.  Sometimes it is not programming at all, sometimes it is bypassing existing programming... Existing programming that an engineer put a lot of time and thought into developing.

Hacking should be an act of desperation, a last ditch effort, not something you do when you first wake up in the morning.

Let me give one simple example:

The Bulletproof Coffee Bio-Hack with coconut oil.  On the surface, this practice looks great.  It feels great.  However, like most hacks, it is incomplete programming and can have unintended consequences.

Using coconut oil on its own floods the body with lauric acid.  Lauric acid, in quantities used by many "bio-hackers" in the morning, is toxic.  A little extra lauric acid once in a while is not going to be a big deal.  After all, people can smoke cigarettes for twenty years and the body adapts.

The point is:  It is not actually a health practice, nutritionally.  It is eating out of balance.  It is also alternative medicine.

In our 120 day nutrition and detox program, we use a LOT of coconut, so we know a LOT about coconut.  Coconut oil... or real coconut milk...should NOT be used without the proper amount of vegetable carbs.  Eating vegetables along with coconut completely mitigates the risk associated with excessive lauric acid.  Therefore, any time you consume coconut products, it should be accompanied by fiber-rich vegetables.  (By coconut milk we don't mean the watered down version found in milk cartons at your grocery store-- there is very little lauric acid per serving).

So yes, hacking around in the body with things like bulletproof coffee can be fun and can be great for your Youtube channel and blog posts, but when it comes time to get serious about nutrition and detoxification, please step away from the fad and fringe bio-hackers...

...and learn how to become your own bio-engineer.

Yes, engineering takes a much more refined and in depth education.  It takes patience.  It takes work.  It takes revisiting problems over and over again in order to finally solve problems.  It takes failing, and it takes learning.  Most of all, it takes the ability to desire to NOT fool yourself with things like "body hacks" and using ideologies involving things like "nootropics" to try to bypass problems rather than solve them.

You can steal from Peter to pay Paul for a very long time.  But, eventually, you have to pay the Piper!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:19:52 PM by Jason »
------------
Change to survive.  Adapt to thrive.
Jason R. Eaton
Author of Upon a Clay Tablet
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:
 Eytons' Earth Foundation: Nutrition & Detox Study Program[/u

• View Profile
    • Earth Cures:  Simple Protocols  || Comprehensive Programs ||  In Depth Discussions
Re: OK, Folks, Stop it with the Bio-Hacking Already!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 12:08:48 PM »
Here is a link to the study demonstrating possible issues with consuming too much medium chain fatty acids without fiber (bacteria in the digestive tract creates short  chain fatty acids) or an abundance of short chain fatty acids:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074761315003921

the study documents the pro-inflammatory and auto-immunity issues in the small intestine associated with the use of medium chain fatty acids (such as lauric acid), but only when vegetables containing SCFA are NOT present!

Still love your bullet proof coffee in the morning?  Why not simply eat an avocado along with it?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:16:38 PM by Jason »
------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project:

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 02:02:26 AM »
I started BP coffee about 10 yrs ago, on and off since. In the last few years I gained weight on it, had to cut out the butter and MCT.  Interesting about the MCT oil and how it affects the body.  I drink one cup of coffee a day, I do add collagen, it has made a difference.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
I used to occasionally make BP coffee.  I do one cup of coffee first thing in the morning (no carbs/sugar/creamer), and love that I can stop at one cup, instead of 10 cups...LOL

As far as body hacks and mods, people think doing things like eating keto bars and making BP is paleo, which it isn't, really.

I use just enough coconut in diet to regulate my energy and weight.  For our nutrition program, about 4 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil are used daily, so I really had to do a deep dive on researching all of potential the risks, and how to use it properly to actually promote healing and well being, rather than as part of a keto weight loss diet.

The trick is the fiber-rich veggies.

For most people, doing one cup of BP coffee in the morning isn't going to actually cause health concerns... but there is always that 1 in 1000 person who already has developing upper-gut immunity issues, who decides that one cup of BP coffee is good, but four cups of BP before the first meal is GREAT.

That would have been me a few decades ago, because nobody would have told me about the risks associated with too much lauric acid.  I would have skipped breakfast, had two cups of java in the morning before work, two cups at work before lunch, and then lunch....LOL

I'm sure that there are tons of people out there doing just that.  I'm extending an olive branch...errrr....avocado... to those folks.  Forewarned is forearmed.  ;)

As far as super high fat and super low carb diets...  They are a curiosity to me.  I did really well on such a diet for a very long time, even though I knew it wasn't really healthy.

You have people like the Intuit who did it successfully because they had to.  I'm wondering if it wasn't the super cold environment that helped them tolerate their narrow diets.

OH, and as for weight loss keto diets... you can get away with almost anything, short term.  So, I'm not that worried about people eating starvation fat-filled diets for four to six months.  I just would like them to look at the perspective that it isn't actually usually HEALTHY.
------------
Jason R. Eaton
Founder of Eytons Earth
Current Project: